Google announced the latest version of its mobile OS, Android 9 Pie during its I/O developer’s conference on August 6, 2018. From the same day, updates started rolling out to Pixel smartphones. The Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2 and the Pixel 2 XL were first to receive the Pie update.
But what about non-Google phones? Which are the smartphones running on Pie update and which smartphones will be getting Pie update in future? Well, in this article, we’ll tell you about the list of smartphones getting the Android Pie update alongside the ones already running on the latest version. That being said, let’s start with the new Android Pie features.
Android Pie Update Features
The Android Pie update brings specific changes in UI based on how the user interacts with it. Google has redesigned the app overview screen alongside the quick settings. Users now have an option to choose the pill-based gesture system for navigation. It looks better and is more convenient than the typical navbars.
Also, the Android 9 Pie offers optional light and dark modes based on the user preference. Primarily focused on machine learning and AI, it brings a new feature called “Adaptive Battery.” The new feature figures out the apps you use the most and allocates battery usage accordingly.
Another exciting addition in Android 9 Pie is the “Adaptive Brightness“ feature, which learns a user’s preference to set brightness in different settings and automatically does it for them.
Not to forget, we also have the new “Digital Wellbeing“ feature that gives you an overview of your daily digital activity. It shows the overall time you spend using the phone, the time you spent within reach individual app, and how many notifications you received from those apps.
List of smartphones running Android Pie update
Below are the smartphones that are already running the new Android 9 Pie update or roll-out has started for them. We have also included the ones that have been confirmed or expected to receive the new OS update. The list will be updated continuously to provide the latest possible information.
Android 9 Pie Update for Google Pixel smartphones
As mentioned, the Google Pixel line-up is the first to get the latest Android updates, followed by the Android One devices. Currently, all its smartphones are flaunting the newest firmware and security patches.
- Pixel XL
- Pixel 2
- Pixel 2 XL
- Pixel 3
- Pixel 3 XL
Android 9 Pie Update for OnePlus smartphones
OnePlus is one of the few smartphone giants to take software updates seriously. The company provides a near to stock Android experience escorted by necessary customizations with its Oxygen OS. While the brand’s latest smartphone, the OnePlus 6T boots Pie right out of the box, other models have reportedly received the new update as well.
- OnePlus 6: updated to Pie
- OnePlus 6T: updated to Pie
- OnePlus 5T: updated to Pie
- OnePlus 5: updated to Pie
- OnePlus 3T
- OnePlus 3
Android 9 Pie Update for Nokia smartphones
Backed by HMD Global, Nokia has been very conscious about software updates since it re-entered the market. Most of the smartphones by the brand are under Google’s Android One programme, ensuring timely OS updates and security patches.
- Nokia 8 Sirocco: Pie update starts rolling out as of Jan 9, 2019
- Nokia 8: updated to Pie
- Nokia 7.1: upgraded to Pie
- Nokia 7 Plus: updated to Pie
- Nokia 6.1 Plus: updated to Pie
- Nokia 6.1: updated to Pie
- Nokia 6
- Nokia 5.1 Plus: updated to Pie
- Nokia 5.1
- Nokia 3.1 Plus
- Nokia 3.1
- Nokia 3
- Nokia 2
Android 9 Pie Update for Huawei / Honor Smartphones
Huawei along with its sub-brand Honor has surprised everyone with quick Android Pie updates, even while using the heavily skinned EMUI on top. While the just launched Huawei Mate 20 Pro came with Pie right off the bat, older devices too are tipped to get the Pie-based EMUI 9.0.
- Huawei P20 Pro: updated to Pie
- Huawei P20: updated to Pie
- Huawei P20 Lite
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro: updated to Pie
- Huawei Mate 10: upgraded to Pie
- Huawei Mate 10 Porsche: updated to Pie
- Huawei Nova 3
- Huawei Nova 3i
- Honor View 10: updated to Pie
- Honor 10: updated to Pie
- Honor Play: upgraded to Pie
- Honor 8X
Android 9 Pie Update for Asus Smartphones
Asus has been playing very aggressively with its Zenfone line-up in the country. That being said, the brand has committed to sticking with specific update timeline for its recently launched smartphones, mentioned below.
- Asus Zenfone 5Z: ZenUI based on Pie, scheduled for January 2019
- Asus Zenfone 5: updated to Pie-based Zen UI (rolled out on Dec 20)
- Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1: planned for February 2019
- Asus ZenFone Max M1: to roll out within Q1 2019
- Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2: scheduled for January 2019
- Asus ZenFone Max M2: planned for January 2019
- Asus ROG Phone: to roll out within Q1 2019
- Asus ZenFone 5 Lite: to roll out within Q1 2019
- Asus Zenfone 4 Pro: to roll out within Q1 2019
Android 9 Pie Update for Samsung Smartphones
The Korean giant Samsung has lately made its mind to switch from Experience UI to a more comfy and light OneUI based on Android 9 Pie. It all started a few months back, and by now, the OneUI has made its way on to the company’s latest flagships. Moreover, being clear about software updates, the brand has also shared its official update timeline for the year.
- Samsung Galaxy S9: updated to Pie
- Samsung Galaxy S9+: updated to Pie
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9: upgraded to Pie
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8: scheduled for February 2019
- Samsung Galaxy S8: scheduled for March 2019
- Samsung Galaxy S8+: scheduled for March 2019
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 10.5: scheduled for April 2019
- Samsung Galaxy A6: scheduled for April 2019
- Samsung Galaxy A6+: scheduled for April 2019
- Samsung Galaxy A7 2018: scheduled for April 2019
- Samsung Galaxy A8 Star: scheduled for April 2019
- Samsung Galaxy A8+ 2018: scheduled for April 2019
- Samsung Galaxy A9 2018: scheduled for April 2019
- Samsung Galaxy J2 (2018): scheduled for April 2019
- Samsung Galaxy J2 Core: scheduled for April 2019
- Samsung Galaxy J4: scheduled for April 2019
- Samsung Galaxy J6+: scheduled for April 2019
- Samsung Galaxy On7 (2018): scheduled for April 2019
- Samsung Galaxy J4+: scheduled for May 2019
- Samsung Galaxy J6: scheduled for May 2019
- Samsung Galaxy J8: scheduled for May 2019
- Samsung Galaxy J7 2017: scheduled for July 2019
- Samsung Galaxy J7 Duo: scheduled for July 2019
- Samsung Galaxy J7 Neo: scheduled for July 2019
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 9.7: scheduled for August 2019
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2017: scheduled for October 2019
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5: scheduled for October 2019
Android 9 Pie Update for Xiaomi Smartphones
The famous Chinese manufacturer Xiaomi is known for its value for money smartphones across the country. While most of the company’s flagships have already received Pie-based MIUI 10, few are tipped for a late refreshment. Besides, the company’s Android One phones too are updated to the latest Android version.
- Xiaomi Mi A1: updated to Pie
- Xiaomi Mi A2: updated to Pie
- Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite: updated to Pie
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S: updated to Pie
- Xiaomi Mi 8: updated to Pie
- Xiaomi Mi Max 2
- Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite
- Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorers Edition
- Xiaomi Mi 6
- Xiaomi Mi 6 Plus
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 3: updated to Pie
- Xiaomi Mi Max 3
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro
- Xiaomi POCO F1: updated to Pie
Android 9 Pie Update for Motorola Smartphones
After being acquired by Lenovo, Motorola too is trying hard to cope with regular software updates. In fact, most of the recent Moto phones are now running the latest version of Android, including the Android One models.
- Motorola One: updated to Pie
- Motorola One Power: updated to Pie
- Moto Z3
- Moto Z3 Play
- Moto Z2 Force Edition
- Moto Z2 Play
- Moto X4: updated to Pie
- Moto G6 Plus: updated to Pie (Indian update this month, Jan 2019)
- Moto G6
- Moto G6 Play
Android 9 Pie Update for Sony Smartphones
Sony is known for slow yet steady Android updates. On the contrary, the brand is quite fast in upgrading its flagship smartphones. Below is the update roll-out schedule for Sony smartphones.
- Sony Xperia XZ2: updated to Pie
- Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact: updated to Pie
- Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium: updated to Pie
- Sony Xperia XZ1 Premium: updated to Pie
- Sony Xperia XZ1: updated to Pie
- Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact: updated to Pie
- Sony Xperia XA2: planned for March 4, 2019
- Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra: planned for March 4, 2019
- Sony Xperia XA2 Plus: planned for March 4, 2019
Android 9 Pie Update for LG Smartphones
LG has not such a good reputation when it comes to Android updates. At the moment, the LG G7 One (Android One) is the only handset by the company running on Pie. Nonetheless, the company is making continuous efforts to pace up the speed of Android updates on its smartphones. Although we don’t have exact dates for the roll-out, below are the LG smartphones intended to get Android 9 Pie.
Android 9 Pie Update for Realme Smartphones
Being a relatively new entrant in the smartphone market, Realme has announced that it’ll be providing the latest Android 9 update to all of its smartphones by the end of Q2 2019. While everyone wants the brand to go on Stock Android route, the new update will continue the malediction of Oppo’s Color OS 6.0. The list of the eligible smartphones goes as follows:
Android 9 Pie Update for Oppo Smartphones
Oppo has an inferior past when it comes to timely Android updates. The company hasn’t yet provided any information regarding the devices planned for the Pie update. Barring that, below are the Oppo phones expected to get updated to Pie in the coming time.
Android 9 Pie Update for Vivo Smartphones
Vivo shares a similar story when it comes to Android updates. The company previously confirmed the arrival of Android Pie on its devices by the end of 2018. Notwithstanding, many devices are yet to receive the update. The Vivo X21 and X21 UD were part of the Google beta program and hence will be the first ones to grab Android Pie. Other devices are listed below.
Android 9 Pie Update for HTC Smartphones
Lately, HTC has been losing out on the smartphone sales due to its inability to compete against the major Chinese players. As a result, the brand is trying to keep up with loyal customers by providing updates. Moreover, HTC has ensured that all its latest smartphones will receive the perks of Pie.
- HTC U12
- HTC U12 Plus
- HTC U11 Life: updated to Pie (Android One)
- HTC U11
- HTC U11 Plus
List of Android Go phones getting Android Pie
Released in December 2017, the Android Go programme received immense popularity amongst low-end smartphones by many companies. For starters, it is a trimmed down version of Android that involves a set of toned-down applications, suited well for Android smartphones with less than 1GB RAM.
Below are some of the Android Go smartphones confirmed to get Android 9 Pie update.
- Nokia 1
- Nokia 2.1
- Moto E5 Play
- Micromax Bharat Go
- LAVA Z50
- Alcatel 1X
- Huawei Y3 2018
- Huawei Y5 Lite
- ASUS ZenFone Live L1
- General Mobile GM 8 Go
- ZTE Weather Go
So this was the Android Pie update timeline for smartphones from major OEMs. What smartphone do you own? Is it getting the Pie update or you are already rocking the latest version? Let us know in the comments below. Stay tuned for more such articles.