YouTube Dark mode essentially helps reduce eye strain while streaming videos on the website. The option can be activated by users which allow them to watch their favorite videos for longer hours, by reducing blue light emitting from the screen.
Advantages of YouTube Dark Mode
The hidden Dark Mode, which is yet to be officially announced by Google-owned YouTube transforms the usual white background into a darker black. Hence, using this feature makes it easier on the eye while watching YouTube videos at night or in dimly-lit environments, allowing users to continue watching videos for a longer duration. Also, activating YouTube Dark mode enhances the overall look and feel of the website.
How to use YouTube Dark Mode
For now, the feature can only be activated via Google’s Chome web browser. You’ll need to use Chrome’s developer tools to activate the feature. Here’s a list of steps you should follow to activate YouTube dark Mode.
- To begin with, users need to update their Chrome browser to the latest version.
- Once your Chrome browser is up to date, just head over to YouTube.com and log in with your account credentials.
- After you’ve logged in, open your Chrome browser’s Developer tools. You can do so by using keyboard shortcuts Ctrl + Shift + I on your Windows PC. Mac users can do the same by pressing Command + Option + I. Pressing this combination opens up a developer tools panel which you can find on the right-hand side of the browser.
- Next, click on the console tab, where you’ll see a box at the bottom. Just paste the following code on the input box: document.cookie=”VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=fPQ4jCL6EiE”#sthash.V0laxAkX.dpuf
- After you’ve entered the above-mentioned code, just press Enter, close developer tools and then refresh the browser.
- Then click on your profile icon in the top right-hand corner of YouTube which should now list an extra set of options, including the Hidden Dark Mode. You can Toggle ON/OFF to activate or deactivate the feature.
That said, users need to be aware that YouTube would back to its default settings once you restart the browser. Hopefully, Google officially rolls out the hidden dark mode feature so we can easily watch videos for long without much strain on the eye.