Xiaomi released Mi Max recently. If you own one and waiting for a system update to Android Nougat then you might have to wait for more. Or you can update your Mi Max to the latest Android 7.1 Nougat by installing the CyanogenMod 14.1 custom ROM. CyanogenMod released a nightly version of CyanogenMod custom ROM for some latest smartphones including Xiaomi Mi Max. So, what are you waiting for? follow the steps and update your Mi Max to Android 7.1 Nougat before your friends.
- Enable USB debugging on your smartphone, go to Settings > About > tap the MIUI version seven times. Come back to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options > enable USB Debugging.
- Charge up your phone via wall adapter (it will charge your phone faster), this process needs lots of battery juice.
- Do not try to update any other smartphone using this method or the files provided here; it may damage your phone.
Installing custom recovery
- Download the portable adb zip file and extract it on your PC.
- Now, download the TWRP custom recovery image file and copy it to the extracted adb folder.
- Connect your phone to your PC and launch the “MAF32” file by double clicking it.
- You’ll see a command window, just paste these commands into the command window one by one.adb devicesadb reboot bootloader (wait till your phone reboots to bootloader mode)
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-2-hydrogen-black-blue.img (wait while installation)
Your phone will now reboot into the OS mode; you won’t be able to see any difference here. Now, to install the CyanogenMod 14.1 custom ROM follow the steps below.
Installing the CyanogenMod 14.1 custom ROM
- Download the CyanogenMod 14.1 custom ROM and Google Apps package on your PC.
- Connect your phone to PC and move both the zip files downloaded above to your phone.
- Now, open the portable adb folder and launch the “MAF32” file again.
- Enter these commands in command window one by one:adb devicesadb reboot recovery
once your phone reboots, disconnect it from your PC.
- You are in recovery mode, follow these steps to flash the custom ROM.
- Tap Wipe and confirm to wipe the system and cache.
- Tap Install and select the CyanoegnMod 14.1 zip file and confirm to flash.
- Repeat the above step (#7) and install the Google apps package.
- After installation, reboot your smartphone by tapping the Reboot System button.
Once you tap the reboot button, your phone will reboot to the newly installed custom ROM. You will see a new boot animation which means you successfully updated your phone to Android 7.1 Nougat.
CyanogenMod 14.1 is a stock Android 7.1 Nougat user interface, so if you are not familiar with it then, it will need some time to get familiar with. Rest is fine, just follow the setup and personalise your phone with the sam Google account of yours. If you need any help installing the ROM then share your question with us in the comment section and we will be happy to assist you.