OnePlus 3T is an amazing smartphone; this smartphone got everything to make it a perfect smartphone. OnePlus even rolled out Android 7.1 Nougat update recently to OnePlus 3T in the form of Oxygen OS 4.0.1. There is not even a single flaw in this smartphone that is why this smartphone become the most popular smartphone of this year. Android 7.1 Nougat and Oxygen OS together is an immaculate and straightforward interface; there are also no much options to customize the interface and working of the smartphone.
If you are like me, then you must love to customize the interface in any Android smartphone, but the security features of Android don’t allow us to do that. Well, there is a way to break through all that security and customize your smartphone; Root. Well, there are a lot more what you can do with a rooted smartphone. But rooting comes with a price, rooting voids your smartphones warranty but the best thing is that you can anytime un-root your smartphone.
There are some things you need to know before Rooting OnePlus 3T:
- Your smartphone’s warranty will be void and you can’t claim it till the phone is rooted.
- You won’t be able to get official updates from the manufacturer via OTA; you have to update manually.
- Your phone might lose all the data, so it’s better to create a backup of all your data first.
- This rooting procedure is only working for OnePlus 3T running Android 6.0 Marshmallow or Android 7.0 Nougat. Do not attempt to root any other OnePlus variant using this method.
Steps to set up the smartphone and unlocking the bootloader of OnePlus 3T
- Go to Settings > About > tap on Build Number 7 times.
- Come back to Settings > Developer Options > enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
- Download the fast boot zip package from here and extract the contents to a folder (on your PC).
- Right-click on the folder while holding down the Shift key on the keyboard, select “Open command window here.”
- Now, connect your smartphone to the PC and type the following command in the command window
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your smartphone reboot to bootloader, enter the following command and press Enter.
Fastboot oem unlock
- Your phone will be prompted to unlock the bootloader and erase all the data. Confirm it and your smartphone will reboot to the OS mode.
Flashing The Custom Recovery on OnePlus 3T
- Download the TWRP recovery file from here, rename it to “recovery” (without changing the extension .ini) and move it to the fast boot folder (step #3).
- Repeat the step #1 and #2 from the guide above.
- Again, connect your smartphone to PC and launch the command window in the fastboot folder as before.
- Execute this command.
adb reboot bootloader
- When in bootloader enter this command/
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Once recovery flashed, enter the following command to restart the smartphone.
Final step: Rooting OnePlus 3T
- Download the SuperSU zip file from here and transfer it to OnePlus 3T.
- Now, turn off your smartphone completely and turn on by pressing the Volume down button and power button will you see the TWRP logo.
- In TWRP recovery, tap on Install then choose the SuperSU zip file and confirm to flash it.
- Tap on Reboot to System to reboot your smartphone.
There you have your OnePlus 3T perfectly rooted; you can now install all the apps which need root access. You can now access the system apps and modify them easily but watch out for malware. Only install apps and grant root access which you trust because it might be dangerous for your privacy. If anything on this guide you doesn’t understand then feel free to contact us using the comment section below.