After a brief hiccup in January, the wait is finally over for Pixel users who haven’t received a Google Play system update since November 2023. On February 8th, 2024, Google officially rolled out the revised January update, addressing a critical storage access bug that plagued the initial release. This much-anticipated update brings minor system improvements, bug fixes, and essential security patches for various Pixel devices running Android 14 QPR1, QPR2, and QPR3.
- Originally rolled out in January, the update was halted due to storage access issues.
- Google released a revised January update on February 8th, 2024, addressing the bug.
- The update brings minor system improvements, bug fixes, and security patches.
- Pixel devices on Android 14 QPR1, QPR2, and QPR3 are eligible for the update.
A Bumpy Start and a Quick Fix
The original January update, released in mid-January, unfortunately caused issues for some users, preventing them from accessing their phone’s storage. Google promptly acknowledged the problem, halted the rollout, and provided a temporary fix while working on a revised version. Fortunately, the company was able to identify and address the root cause of the storage bug, paving the way for the current stable release.
What’s New in the Revised January Update?
While the official changelog lacks specific details, Google generally categorizes Play System updates as including “updates to system management services that improve Device Connectivity, Network Usage, Security, Stability, and Updatability.” Additionally, minor bug fixes for System Management & Diagnostics related services are typically included. While not as feature-packed as major Android releases, these Play System updates are crucial for maintaining optimal performance, security, and compatibility on Pixel devices.
How to Get the Update
Pixel users can manually check for the update by heading to Settings > Security & privacy > System & updates > Google Play system update. If available, you’ll see the option to download and install it. Alternatively, your phone may automatically notify you when the update is ready.
Update Rollout and Timing:
- The revised January update started rolling out on February 8th, 2024, and is expected to reach all eligible Pixel devices within a few days.
- Users can manually check for the update by following the steps mentioned in the previous article.
- Some users might receive an automatic notification prompting them to install the update.
A Note on the Storage Bug Fix
If you were previously affected by the storage access bug with the initial January update, Google recommends installing the revised version to resolve the issue permanently. Additionally, users who received the temporary fix in January can safely install the new update without any further complications.
After a brief delay due to the storage bug, Pixel users can finally breathe a sigh of relief with the arrival of the revised and functional January Play System update. While the update focuses on general system improvements and bug fixes, it’s always recommended to stay updated for optimal performance and security on your Pixel device. Remember to check for and install the update at your earliest convenience.