Google has released the most awaited Android 7.0 Nougat update but it’s not available on most of the smartphones. Well, CyanogenMod and other Android developers are fulfilling this wish for lots of Android smartphone users. Moto Maxx is now one of them, a popular custom ROM making team crDroid ported CM 14 custom ROM for Moto Maxx.
This custom ROM is based on CM14. CynogenMod14 still is a work in progress so you might experience some bugs crawling around. As tested, this custom ROM does not contain any major bug, but yes some glitches for sure.
Files you need
- The crDroid custom ROM
- Google Apps package
- TWRP custom recovery (if haven’t installed yet)
- Flashify app (for installing custom recovery)
Install the TWRP custom recovery
- Download and install the Flashify app from the Google Play Store (your phone should be rooted to use this app).
- Download the TWRP custom recovery from the above link and save it on your phone’s internal memory.
- Open the Flashify app and chose the TWRP image file, confirm and flash it.
- The app will flash the recovery and reboot your phone right into the recovery mode.
- Now you can proceed to the custom ROM installation process but read the precautions first.
- You need to backup your data to your PC or cloud, so it stays safe there.
- You should charge your phone enough for the installation process, at least 60%.
- Do not try this installation process or files on any other Android phone or Motorola variant or it may damage your device.
Steps to install crDroid custom ROM
- Move the downloaded custom ROM and Google Apps package to the phone’s internal memory.
- Reboot your phone to recovery mode using the key combinations during boot (or you can simply use the custom recovery installation guide from above to install and boot to recovery mode)
- In recovery mode, tap Wipe and confirm, it will wipe the data and reset your phone to factory settings.
- Come back to the main menu and tap Install, choose the custom ROM zip package and swipe to install the custom ROM.
- To install the Google apps package, repeat the previous step with Google apps zip package.
- After installation is successful, tap Reboot System to reboot your phone.
Your phone will boot up and you will see a new boot animation. Your phone will take some time to reach the welcome screen for the first time. Once done, you can follow the setup process by syncing your Google account like you do in other Android phone when you first set it up. And if you feel any difficulty installing the custom ROM or you want to ask something out of curiosity, comment section is free and open.