If you want to start an eCommerce store for your business, you need to make sure that your website is fool-proof and secure. When you’re choosing a website builder to set up your eCommerce website, you shouldn’t be overlooking the security of your website. Creating an appealing, dynamic website is important but it’s equally important to make sure that there’s limited scope for security breaches or hacking.
If you want to avoid the risk of loss of your website data or customer data, make your website security a priority. There are many different ways in which you can secure your website when picking a website builder.
Here, we’ll be discussing some of the ways by which you can maintain website security:
- Pick an authentic and reliable eCommerce hosting website. In fact, website security should be your top priority when you’re selecting a website hosting service. The idea is to not just protect your website from any possible hackers, but also to have a full-fledged backup plan to restore your website after it undergoes a security breach. A RAID data protection is another thing should look for. Your website host should be operational on a 24X7 basis. It would be a good idea to opt for a cloud hosting service that’s managed by engineers. This will help you ensure that your website security is taken care of.
- Select an eCommerce platform that offers secure payment gateways and also comes with shipping method extensions. Security should be one of the topmost features to look for in your eCommerce platform. Without the provision of website security, the presence of all other factors ends up in vain.
- When setting up your website using a website builder, make sure that your website comes with ‘HTTPs’. Get an SSL certificate ahead of moving your website to ‘https’. Google makes use of ‘https’ as a signal for giving a higher SERP ranking and helps get more visitors in the process. HTTPs acts as a secured link between your servers and the browsers that the people use, in an effort to avoid theft of your data.
- Another way to secure your website is by conducting vulnerability tests. Your eCommerce website could be prone to hacking, data theft, and other security breaches. Explore the different tools that your eCommerce platform offers in order to scan for any possible vulnerabilities. When scanning for vulnerabilities, don’t just focus on checking up your website. Conduct a thorough scan of your network as well, in order to avoid and fix any issues and/or risks associated with your website.
- As a part of protecting user information, tell your customers to secure their login information. User login information is sensitive to hacks and security breaches. To avoid this problem and to offer a secure platform to your customers, you need to follow a secure approach. This involves reminding the customers to change their passwords every month through an automated process. Each user must have a unique password which should ideally consist of eight characters at least and a symbol, a number, an uppercase letter, and a lowercase letter.
- As a part of ensuring the security of your website, you must also make sure to inculcate PCI DSS compliance. The idea is to avoid credit card frauds through PCI DSS security standards for customer credit card data. With a PCI DSS security standard in place, the website is able to find and avoid all potential security breaches and hacking problems that can lead to threats to users’ accounts.
- It’s also very important to avoid storing any sensitive data associated with your customers. If at all you come across a threat to your website, it could lead to all your customer data being stolen. This can lead you to lose the trust of your audience.
- To avoid getting your website attacked by hackers, you should make sure to update your website regularly. Any vulnerabilities in your website increase the scope for hackers to attack the security of your website.
- As important as it is to update your website at regular intervals, it’s also vital to keep backing up your website as often as possible. If your eCommerce website is ever attacked by hackers, a website backup will come in handy. All you would have to do is restore website backup from your host provider.
Use Shopify’s Website Builder
Shopify’s website builder comes with features to ensure maximum website security
If you want to get an eCommerce website builder that ensures website security, Shopify offers a good option. While online shopping can put customers at risk of data theft, security loopholes, hacking, and so on, with Shopify you can feel safe about your website. Shopify ensures that security updates are conducted regularly to provide a safe, secure, and satisfactory experience for you as well as your customers.