The macOS is one of the simplest and user-friendly operating systems out there. Apart from its simplicity what makes macOS really popular is the fact that it features shortcuts for almost any daily functions that most users perform.
However, if you have just recently started using a macOS powered device, then like any other device you may need some time in order to understand the full set of features, functionalities, and shortcuts offered by the macOS operating system.
One of the most commonly accessed features on a macOS device is definitely taking a screenshot. With the macOS, there are different ways to take a screenshot of exactly the part of the screen you want.
Today, we bring you a detailed tutorial on the various ways by which you can easily take screenshots on any macOS powered devices.
Keyboard shortcuts to take a screenshot on macOS
Below are the different keyboard shortcuts that you can use in order to take a screenshot on macOS.
Keyboard Shortcut to Take Screenshot of Entire Screen on macOS:
- First of all, be ready with the screen on which you wish to take a screenshot of.
- Now press and hold the Shift key + Command key + 3 key on your keyboard.
- The screenshot of the entire screen will now be taken and automatically saved as a file in “.PNG” format on your desktop.
Keyboard Shortcut to Take Screenshot of Selected Screen Portion on macOS:
- Press and hold the Shift key + Command key + 4 key on your keyboard.
- Pressing and holding the above keys will change the mouse pointer to a crosshair shaped icon.
- Without clicking, move the crosshair pointer to the area of the screen from where you wish to start capturing the screenshot.
- Now, click on the right mouse button and keep dragging to cover the total area of which you wish to take the screenshot of. While dragging the crosshair pointer, you can also make use of the Shift key, Option key, and Spacebar key to change the way the selection area moves.
- Once the required area is covered by the crosshair pointer, release the mouse button.
- The screenshot will be automatically captured and saved on your desktop in “.PNG” format.
- If you wish to cancel the screenshot, then before releasing the right mouse button, click on the “Esc” key on your keyboard.
Keyboard Shortcut to Take Screenshot of Only a Window on macOS:
- Open the window whose screenshot you wish to take.
- Press the Shift key + Command key + 4 key. The pointer will change to a crosshair.
- Now press the Spacebar. The crosshair will change to a camera icon.
- Move the icon to the window.
- The window will now get highlighted.
- Click on the right mouse button.
- The screenshot will be saved as a “.PNG” file on your desktop.
- If you wish to cancel the screenshot, instead of the mouse button, press on the Esc key.
Did you find the above article on What are the keyboard shortcuts to take a screenshot on macOS helpful? If yes, then do share this article and in case of any queries, do leave a comment below.