Redmond, Microsoft Inc. [NASDAQ:MSFT] is slated to release their flagship product Microsoft Office in October this year.
Microsoft has dubbed new version of their desktop application as Microsoft Office 2016 as of now.
It is expected that Microsoft will release the Office 2016 for desktops for Mac and Windows along with a new version of Office 365.
Microsoft has released a new public preview for the Office 2016. The earlier preview was limited only for the developer community but the new preview is available for all users.
The Enterprise version of the software is made available for Microsoft 365 users only. Microsoft warns that the version of Office is limited only for testing and the same should not be put to use in a “Live” production system.
Users can download the latest build of Microsoft Office 2016 from Microsoft site. Users would have to uninstall any previous version of office from their machine in order to install Office 2016.
Microsoft Office 2016 will be a touch-enabled version of Office. The new version of Office will be optimized for use on Mobile Phone as well as Tablets apart from normal Desktop viewing.
Office 2016 will offer enhanced support for collaboration, and allows real-time coauthoring with users connected to Office Online. Office 2016 will also be Cloud enabled and touch-enabled version of Office. The new version of Office will be optimized for use on Mobile Phone as well as Tablets apart from normal Desktop viewing. Office 2016 will offer enhanced support for collaboration, and allows real-time coauthoring with users connected to Office Online. Office 2016 will also be Cloud enabled.
Office 2016 will have several advanced features which will help IT users and Admins alike to control the way authors communicate. Microsoft’s team has written in blog post that the new version of Office will have following new features:
- Cloud Support – Office 2016 will have support of cloud which could help authors to edit their documents from anywhere. Office 2016 will support integration from OneDrive as well.
- TellMe – Instead of fumbling for options through the ribbon you can now reach out to TellMe the new search tool for better results
- Data Loss Protection – Microsoft has added the DLP features to Word, Excel and Power point as well. The feature was earlier integrated in Exchange, SharePoint, OneNote and Outlook. With this feature IT admins can enforce policies centrally for authoring and document sharing. This will help prevent any other any possible policy violation.
- New Features in Outlook – Microsoft has added a number of features to the outlook starting from better download features, Multi-factor authentication, Internet friendly protocol and improved Search. Clutter feature will help reduce the email workload by segregating emails based on priority. Outlook will also help users to attach a document directly from One Drive.
- Information Rights Management integration with Visio files
- New features in the Office 365 subscription service to better manage network, traffic management, update management and device management. Most of these features are available as single-click to manage IT resources better.
Microsoft has also released the Public Preview of Office 2016 for Mac as well. The users can download a test copy from Microsoft website.
Microsoft will keep on providing updates to both Windows and Mac previews from time to time fixing bugs and enriching functionality till the time of actual release.