Google released Android Wear 2.0 OS for Android-based smartwatches with Android N release preview 3. Android Wear 2.0 OS is going to be the biggest update for Android-based wearable because Google is making Android smartwatches independent than ever. Smartwatches will have its independent apps, full qwerty keyboard, app drawer, standalone apps and much more.
Well, Google only revealed the features on Google I/O but you can try your hands on this latest update by flashing the “Preview” images to your Android smartwatch. Unfortunately, preview images are only available for LG Watch Urbane 2 and Huawei smartwatch only but soon Google will be releasing preview images for more smartwatches. Here’s how to install Android Wear 2.0 preview on LG Watch Urbane 2 and Huawei smartwatch.
Set up your watch:
- Open the Settings > About then tap on Build Number seven times.
- Go back to the Settings menu and navigate to Developer Options.
- Enable ADB Debugging.
Setup your PC:
- Download and install ADB drivers.
- Download and extract Platform Tools zip file on the desktop.
- Download (according to watch) and extract the Preview image package.
Unlocking the bootloader:
- Connect your watch to your PC (disconnect the USB cable from the charging adapter and connect it to PC).
- Open the platform-tools folder (extracted above).
- Right-click on the space inside the folder and click on “open command window here”.
- Type the following commands one by one in the command line:
adb reboot bootloader
- When your phone boots to the bootloader mode, run the following command:
fastboot oem unlock
- When the smartwatch boots, choose the start and tap on “0”.
Flash the image:
- Extract the image package:
- Double click on “Flash all” executable file (on Windows PC)
- Execute the flash-all.sh, file (on Linux).
- This will flash the image file to your watch.
- Your watch will reboot to the Android Wear 2.0.
Re-lock the bootloader:
- Enable ADB debugging (guide above) on your smart watch.
- Open Platform-tools folder, right-click on empty space and click on “Open command window here”.
- On command window type “fastboot oem lock” and press enter.
- Your watch will reboot.
Done with the Android wear 2.0 preview? You can get back to the previous version by performing the whole process from “unlocking the bootloader”. Just use the “Non-preview image” from here instead of Preview image”.
Google released these preview images for developers to help them develop standalone apps for Android Wear 2.0. You can share your experience with the Android Wear 2.0 Preview in the comments section below.