Do you want to quickly and easily restore WhatsApp chat messages? Do you want to restore messages selectively and without any risk of data loss?
The official method of WhatsApp backup and restore on the iPhone has a lot of drawbacks. Most importantly, it doesn’t allow you to selectively restore the data you really want.
However, there are alternatives out there with which you can backup and restore WhatsApp messages at once or selectively on iPhone without any data loss. In this article, we discuss those alternatives.
WhatsApp Backup and Restore Messages at Once on iPhone using Official Method
Officially, WhatsApp backup and restore on iPhone is done through an iCloud backup. You have to ensure that you maintain backups on iCloud. As such, whenever you need, you can restore those backups to your iPhone and restore messages.
How to Create WhatsApp Backup on iPhone via iCloud:
- Go to WhatsApp Settings > Chats > Chat Backup.
- Tap Back Up Now.
- Tap the Auto Backup option to set up a frequency of backups.
- All of your WhatsApp messages will get automatically backed up to the iCloud during those regular intervals.
- If you’re doing it for the first time, it may take a while. You need a stable internet connection for this.
How to Restore WhatsApp Backup on iPhone via iCloud:
- Go to WhatsApp > Settings > Chat > Chat Backup to ensure that your backups were enabled and that your lost messages will be available in the backup.
- Uninstall WhatsApp and then re-install it from the App Store.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to set up your WhatsApp.
- Verify your phone number.
- When the Restore from iCloud screen comes, select the Restore option.
Limitations of the Official Method to WhatsApp Backup and Restore Messages
- This method will only work on iOS 7 and above.
- It’s necessary to manually set up the auto backup so that you can restore them later.
- You need enough storage space in your iCloud account. If not, you’ll have to pay for additional storage.
- You can’t selectively choose which data to restore. It’s all or nothing. That means all the older chats will be written over your new chats so you’ll lose your latest data.
- You’ll have to first uninstall WhatsApp.
- Doesn’t support the cross-platform restoration, i.e., between Android and iOS.
WhatsApp Backup and Restore Messages Selectively on iPhone using dr.fone – Restore Social App
dr.fone – Restore Social App is the best tool to WhatsApp Backup and Restore messages selectively on the iPhone. This tool allows you to select the exact messages and pictures that you want to restore and save only them. You don’t have to restore all your messages and you don’t have to completely write over your existing messages so there’s no data loss.
Furthermore, dr.fone has been developed by Wondershare, one of the world’s leading technological enterprises, so it’s completely reliable and is used by millions of users across the world.
dr.fone – Restore Social App
WhatsApp Backup and Restore Messages Selectively on iPhone
- The extremely simple method to select and restore WhatsApp messages.
- Supports cross-platform migration between iOS devices and Android.
- Can also transfer WhatsApp messages to the computer.
- Compatible with all iOS versions and devices.
How to Create WhatsApp Backup on iPhone using dr.fone – Restore Social App
- Launch dr.fone and select the Restore Social App menu icon.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer via a data cable.
- In the next screen, select WhatsApp > Backup WhatsApp messages.
- The backup process will initiate and you’ll be able to see the progress.
- Once the backup is done, click on View It to access it.
- Choose the backup file you want to access and click on View.
- Go through the gallery of all your WhatsApp messages.
How to Restore WhatsApp Backup on iPhone using dr.fone – Restore Social App
- Go to dr.fone > Restore Social App > WhatsApp > Restore WhatsApp messages to iOS Device.
- Select the backup file you want to restore and click on View.
- Go through the list of WhatsApp messages and media files. Select the ones you want to restore and then click on Restore to Device.
- All the selected messages will get transferred to your iPhone without any data loss.
So now you know how to backup and restore WhatsApp messages at once or selectively on iPhone. If you want to restore the entire backup at once, you can use the official iCloud method. If you want to restore selective messages without any data loss, then dr.fone – Restore Social App is your best option.