Most often while playing content purchased from the iTunes Store, the iTunes client will ask you to authorize your computer for iTunes. If you are unaware of how to authorize computer for iTunes and is in search for a detailed guide on the same, then today we bring you a detailed tutorial on how to authorize computer for iTunes easily.
What happens when you authorize computer for iTunes?
When you authorize a computer for iTunes, then the applications, books, movies, music, audiobooks and any content that is purchased using your iTunes account can be accessed using the authorized computer.
You can authorize any Mac or PC, however, the maximum number of authorized computers is 5. Which means, once you authorize a maximum of 5 computers, you will need to deauthorize any computer to authorize a new computer.
Authorizations are only required for computers and you can only authorize a computer from the same computer and cannot remotely authorize a computer from another computer.
Also, if you own an iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad, you do not have to authorize these devices as iTunes does not ask for authorizations on iOS devices.
How to Authorize Computer for iTunes?
Below is the step by step guide on how to authorize computer for iTunes.
- First of all, launch the iTunes app on your computer.
- If not signed in already, complete the sign in using your Apple ID and password.
- Choose the “Accounts” option from the menu bar of the iTunes app window.
- Click on “Authorizations”.
- From the new options that appear, click on the “Authorize This Computer” option.
- If prompted to enter your iTunes password, do the same.
- In Windows computers, if the menu bar is not visible, press the “B” + “Ctrl” keys to bring the menu.
How to Check the Number of Authorized Computers in iTunes?
Follow the below steps if you want to know how many computers you have authorized in iTunes to check if you have exceeded the maximum limit.
- Launch the iTunes app on your computer and if not already signed in, do the same.
- In the menu bar, click on the “Account” option and then click on the “View My Account” option. If the menu bar is not visible on Windows computers, you can also use the “Ctrl” + “B” key shortcut to bring the menu bar.
- After you click the “View My Account” in the above step, you will be asked to re-enter your iTunes account password.
- Once you successfully enter your iTunes password, you will be presented with the Account Information page.
- In the page, scroll till you find the section titled as “Apple ID Summary”. Below this section, there is a field named “Computer Authorizations” and here you will be able to see the number of computers that are authorized to access the content on your current iTunes account.
If you reach the maximum authorization limit, then you will have to deauthorize all the computers and authorize the computers you use.
That was a simple tutorial on how to authorize a computer for iTunes. In case you have any queries on the above tutorial, please leave a comment below and we will help you out.