An antivirus program is a software that is specifically designed to look for, detect and delete computer viruses and other software that might be harmful to your computers like Trojans, adware, and worms. Antivirus programs do a great job in preventing and stopping harmful programs before they find their way into your computer and cause damage.
Most people think that using their computers and not visiting sites that are prone to malware makes them safe, but this is far from the truth. The truth of the matter is hackers are getting smarter by the day and are developing ingenious ways of planting these viruses in your computer, which is why you need a free antivirus program to stay a couple of steps ahead of them.
How do these free programs work?
Antivirus software does its job simply by continuously scanning code or files that are incoming through your internet connection. Antivirus software companies possess a huge and ever-growing database of known malware and viruses that are used to flag, detect and sometimes remove these viruses from your computer.
When browsing through the internet or uploading and downloading content, the free antivirus software compares this date against that database in an effort to find a match. When a match is found, it is automatically detected as a virus and is automatically isolated pending further action from the computer user.
Most free antivirus software does come with an option of adjusting your action settings like automatically scanning your computer for dangerous files whenever you connect to the internet or manually turning on the scans which allow you to monitor in real-time as threats are detected or neutralized.
Benefits of owning an antivirus program
- First and foremost, antivirus software prevents you from being involved in identity theft cases. These programs do a great job of blocking viruses that are notorious for stealing personal information
2. Antivirus software prevents the corruption of data that develops from viruses and other malicious software, thereby saving your effort and time from going to waste.
3. Antivirus programs most importantly assist in the prevention of loss of critically important documents and files that you might have on your computer.
4. They do a good job of speeding up your computer by automatically deleting cached threats that might otherwise slow down your computer.
5. Finally, these programs protect networks that you might have shared from attacks.
Benefits of getting a free one instead
Saves you money
The fact that such sophisticated programs come at no cost is good news for most antivirus users. These programs offer protection from malware and viruses while your wallet remains healthy.
Provides a platform for testing a product
This is arguably the greatest benefit that comes from using a no-cost antivirus. The simple fact that you didn’t spend any money to get the program allows you to try several products before finding the one that is best for you and your needs before purchase.
Whether you have your data stored on the cloud or on your computer, installing free antivirus software is not only vital to keeping your data safe but will also leave you worry-free of whether that information shall land in the wrong hands.