Asus Zenfone 2 Laser users can now taste the sweetness of Android 7.1 Nougat on their smartphones. CyanogenMod Inc. released an experimental build of CyanogenMod 14.1 for Asus Zenfone 2 Laser. Although it is an experimental build but it’s stable enough to use this custom ROM as your daily driver. This custom ROM should not be installed on your primary device just in case. So, let’s start the installation but read all precautions carefully before installing the custom ROM.
- Create a backup of all the important files stored on your phone to keep the precious data safe.
- Charge your phone using the wall adapter before proceeding any further before installing the custom ROM.
- Root your phone and install latest TWRP custom recovery to flash the custom ROM on your phone.
- This installation guide and files provided are only for Asus Zenfone 2 Laser with model number Z00L, do not attempt to install these file on any other phone. Go to Settings > About Device to check the model number of your phone.
Files you need
- CyanogenMod 14.1 ROM
- Google Apps package
Steps to install CyanogenMod 14.1 on Asus Zenfone 2 Laser (Z00L)
- Download the CyanogenMod 14.1 custom ROM and Google apps package zip file from the links above and move them to your phone’s SD card.
- Presuming that you installed the TWRP custom recovery on your Zenfone 2 Laser, reboot your phone to recovery mode. Turn off your phone and turn it back on by holding down the power key and volume down key for few seconds.
- In recovery mode, tap Backup and swipe to backup your current firmware with all the settings and app data. This will create a backup so if you don’t like the CM 14.1 so you can restore this backup.
- Tap Wipe and swipe to confirm the action, this will wipe the system memory and factory resets your phone. Make sure you backed up your important data.
- Finally, tap Install and select the CyanogenMod 14.1 custom ROM zip file. Tap Add More Zips and select Google apps zip file this time and swipe to flash both zip file.
- After successful installation, tap the Reboot System to reboot your phone.
Your phone will reboot in few seconds and you’ll see a new boot animation on your phone which means that your phone is flashed successfully.
Soon you’ll be able to experience Android 7.1 Nougat on your Asus Zenfone 2 Laser. If you stuck somewhere while flashing the custom ROM then we are always here to help you out, just leave your questions in the comment section.